LET'S DO THE INSTRUMENT BAR DANCE!

Do you want to use the barred instruments in your classroom more often but just don’t have the time to get them ready between classes or to set them up in the correct pentatonic scale? Spring is my favorite time of year, especially in Kindergarten because the students finally get to learn how to take care of the “big” instruments.

It was about my second or third year of teaching and requesting additional instruments that I had the revelation that I couldn’t do everything and I needed to prep the students on my expectations on how to take the “bars” off of the instruments and why we had to be careful. The lesson “Let’s Do the Bar Dance” emerged!

Instrument Bar Dance: Fun ideas for teaching students to take bars off Orff instruments!

Demonstrate how to grab each end of a bar and lift straight up like a helicopter. Ask a student to watch and notice what happens to the “peg” when you take the bar off wrong (use one hand and lift at an angle). He/she should notice that the peg bends. Ask the class what would eventually happen to the peg if everyone always used one hand and it kept bending 15-16 times a day. Someone will say “it will break off” and I quickly go into my options once an instrument is broken: put it in the closet - but then someone wouldn’t have an instrument to play, fix it – but I’d have to drill out the old peg and that is a little scary because if I didn’t drill straight I’d ruin the instrument and then have to throw it away or buy a new one - but the school doesn’t have $2000 (I love using a Bass Xylophone for this lesson for the cost perspective)….maybe our best option is to take care of the instruments!

Have the students stand behind an instrument. If you don’t have one instrument per student this is a perfect lesson for students to double up on an instrument or to take turns. If students need to take turns develop some type of signal to rotate. Review how to grab the bar with two hands and ask the students to take one bar off and then to carefully put it back on in the same spot. Ask them to take off another bar with two hands, then ask them to move and dance in their spot with it. After 8-10 seconds ask them to carefully put it back on with two hands. Take off a different bar and dance with it! Repeat the process a couple more times – reminding students they have to use two hands and lift straight up! Eventually, while you are asking them to take off different bars and dance add some background music during the instructions! You could use anything with a fun, strong beat. My students love the following found on iTunes:

·         AfricanTribal Music and Dances (Album) Percussion Instruments (song)
·         WorldMasters - Beat the Drum (Album) Beat the Drum (song)
·         WorldMasters - Beat the Drum  (Album) Africa We Go Go (song)

If you have a some extra time try extending the lesson with a little pantomime and have the students copy you. It is a great time to rest your voice! I usually use an air xylophone and act like I’m tickling the bars with my fingertips. After everyone has joined in I eventually hold up my hands – students will finally notice that they should have stopped too! Add some glissandos, tremolos on a high bar or low bar and mimic playing soft. Eventually notice the mallets and pick them up. Continue the pantomime exercises using mallets this time (dynamics work really well when adding mallets). Most of all have fun and do the instrument bar dance!

Instrument Bar Dance: Fun ideas for teaching students to take bars off Orff instruments!

I love repeating this lesson in the fall and spring with 1st - 2nd grade to reinforce taking care of the instruments!

How do you train your students how to take care of the instruments? I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to share your ideas in the comments. 

No comments